How To Tie A Cafe Knot
- Drape the necktie around your collar with the seam facing inward and the thick end on your right, about a half an inch lower than you want the finished tie to hang.
- Cross the thin end over the thick end, forming an X. Then bring the thin end up through the loop you just formed, behind the X.
- Flip the thin end over the top of the knot.
- Bring the thin end behind the knot from left to right.
- Then bring the thin end across the front from right to left.
- Now bring the thin end behind the knot and up through the loop around your neck. This will leave a horizontal band across the front of the knot.
- Flip the thin end over the front of the knot so that it hangs down.
- Bring the thin end slightly to the left of the thick end, then fold it around behind the knot, passing from left to right.
- Bring the thin end up in front of the knot, pointing the tip upward and toward your left shoulder.
- Tuck the thin end through the loop around your collar, behind the rest of the knot and emerging on the left side of the thick end.
- Tug the thin end down firmly and take a moment to arrange the center of the knot. You want the diagonal legs to rise at the same angle, meeting squarely beneath your chin.
- Flip the thick forward and up. You can toss it over one shoulder.
- Turn the thin end point-upward and slip it through the single horizontal loop across the back of the knot.
- Pull the thin end all the way through the loop and snug it up tight.
- Flip the two ends of the tie back down.
- Tighten carefully by holding the knot in one hand while tugging on the thick end with your other.
The Cafe Knot is a difficult one. Don't try it until you're very familiar with the basics of how to tie a tie.